Resource Recommendations from our board member Nancy Hendley, a dementia care trainer at Caring Kind NYC
- Dementia Reconsidered Tom Kitwood
- Dementia Reimagined Tia Powell
- Contented Dementia by Oliver James
- Ten Thousand Joys, Ten Thousand Sorrows Olivia
- Validation Naomi Feil
- Making an Exit Elinor Fuchs
Home Safety, ADL’s, and Activities
• This Caring Home (Rosemary Bakker) www.thiscaringhome.org
• The Alzheimer’s Store www.alzstore.com
• Person Care www.personcare.net
As always, the Alzheimer’s Association is available 24/7 through our Helpline 800.272.3900 or our website, www.alz.org.
Our support groups, education services and care consultations are also available virtually. To find a virtual support group or education program, go to: https://www.communityresourcefinder.org/ or call our Helpline.
Watch “The Father” starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman.
“Florian Zeller’s film “The Father” makes an inexplicably cruel element of the human condition recognizable in a way that only good art can. At once both an unsettlingly accurate simulation of what it’s like to love someone with dementia, and also a strikingly believable conception of what it’s like to live as someone with dementia, Florian Zeller’s “The Father” envisions senility as a house of mirrors in which everyone loses sight of themselves. Adapted from Zeller’s award-winning play of the same name, and directed with a firm hand by the playwright himself, this M.C. Escher drawing of a movie chips away at the austerity of the Euro-dramas that inform its style until every shot betrays the promise of its objectivity, and reality itself becomes destabilized.” -(Indie Wire)
The Arts and Dementia Care
• National Center for Creative Aging www.ncca.org
• Alzheimer’s Poetry Project (Gary Glazner) www.alzpoetry.com
• ARTZ: Artists for Alzheimer’s (John Ziesel & Sean Caulfield) www.artzalz.org
• connect2culture® network of NYC museums and other cultural institutions, providing specialized programming for people with dementia and their caregivers. Full list at www.caringkindnyc.org/connect2culture
• Montessori-based activities for dementia – Cameron Camp
• Communication and cueing systems – Michelle Bourgeois
• Communication, behaviors, and personal care – Teepa Snow youtube
• Communication and validation – Naomi Feil youtube