The Joy of Creative Engagement for Caregivers
Who is this program for?
Caregivers who care for a senior with dementia and Alzheimers. Family caregivers, Professional caregivers, Senior Home Staff, Hospital staff and Social Workers.
Both the caregiver and the senior they care for.
“Music is better than Medicine.”
“This is my truth.”
“Makes me feel good and i want to move my body”
“I am grateful to god and to be here with all of you.”
“We feel joy in this music.”
“I am grateful to be alive.”
“This is for all of us, we are here together.”
“I’ve been here a long time and this is the best!”
“You make us feel alive and special.”
What is The Joy of Creative Engagement Program?
When we support caregivers in managing the reactive emotions of the seniors they care for and themselves, using creative tools like and music and storytelling, their relationship with the one they care for is deepened and more meaningful.
“This is a powerful way of engaging the caregivers and other attendees to relax and reduce their stress. Stories Love Music underscores well the importance of music and story telling as another positive approach to engaging people and the challenges they face as they age. This is a great alternative method to connect meaningfully with memory impaired individuals, no special equipment needed to implement. I got a new understanding of making connections and communicating. I would like more caregivers to be able to experience the power of this for themselves and their loved ones.” – (Participants from Maryland)
Past Program Events And History
- Beta Test Training of Curriculum Guide held for 5 new trainees.
- In-person Caregiver programs held at The MAC Center in Salisbury, Maryland. ( for 20 participants)
2020 – 2021 Events:
- Pilot Study conducted at Deer’s Head Hospital with 12 Nurse Participants.
- Due to the Covid 19 pandemic and the vulnerable populations we serve, all programs were held online via zoom. ( over 100 caregivers participating)
- Sept. 11th-Gull Creek in Berlin, Maryland
- Sept. 27th-MAC Center in Salisbury, Maryland
- November 13th-Somerset County Commission on Aging Center in Westover, Maryland
- Stories Love Music Program for: Senior Citizens with Dementia and Alzheimer’s at MAC (Maintaining Active Citizens) Center in Maryland.
- Stories Love Music Program for: Senior Citizens at the Hurricane Sandy Relief Shelter at Armory Park Slope-Brooklyn. Part of the Music and Creativity program for shelter.
- Stories Love Music Program for: Village Care Elderly Facility in New York City for Seniors and Adults with mental disabilities and dementia.
- Stories Love Music Program: for Alzheimer’s Unit and Recreation Floor of Cobble Hill Health Center, Brooklyn.
- Stories Love Music Program: for Alzheimer’s Residents at 80th street Residence, New York City.
- Stories Love Music Program: for Professional Care Givers at Alzheimer’s Association NYC Chapter.
- Stories Love Music Program: for groups at Beginnings Day Program-Renewal Care NYC.
- Stories Love Music program: received grants from The Community Foundation in Maryland, to lead workshops for professional caregivers in December 2015 and May 2016.
- Stories Love Music Program: at Jewish Museum for Connect 2 Culture Series.
- Stories Love Music Program: at Brooklyn Public Library for Creative Aging Series.
- The Joy of Creative Engagement: for caregivers program presented by Stories Love Music for Professional and Family caregivers at WORCOA Snow Hill Day Center, Snow Hill, Maryland. MAY 2018
- The Joy of Creative Engagement: for caregivers program presented by Stories Love Music and CFES at MAC Center in Salisbury, Maryland. November 8th, 2018.